- I have a problem: my hardware key is not recognized by OptiReOpt and Optilayer. This hardware key works perfectly on a different computer. It worked on this computer two weeks before. Can you tell me how to proceed?
According to your notes it looks like your PC problem. There are 2 kinds of hardware keys, and one kind requires "Guardant Drivers". Please, Open "OptiLayer" group in the Start menu and look for "Guardant Drivers" shortcut. Unplug the key and try to reinstall the drivers. If they are installed - uninstall them and install again. After this plug the key again.
In principle, drivers should be installed by default, it is included to general installation procedure of OptiLayer/OptiReOpt. Potentially some maintenance or security procedures may affect this. In particular some antivirus software may be too aggressive and can block correct driver installation.
Be sure that you see the green LED on the key.
If reinstallation of the drivers does not help, unplug another device at the same computer (for example, mouse) and plug the key to this USB. If it works, it means that you have a problem with your USB. Please note, that the non-working ports issue may be connected just with poor internal contact of wires coming from the port to the motherboard. Often this could be easily fixed. Of course, it is easy to buy a USB extension card or a USB hub if necessary.
- Today I switched on the OptiLayer program and see that it is frozen immediately after starting. Yesterday it worked fine.
The most likely, you have a problem with USB bus controller at your computer. It may suspend communications with the hardware key in some quite rare cases. For example, we had issues with USB3 controllers at some modern computers. If it is your case, it is quite easy to fix: just try other USB ports! It is better to use not USB3, but classical USB2 ports. In cases if your computer has only USB3 connections, you can use any cheap USB hub that will automatically downgrade USB3 to USB2.
- I have installed the Demo version for evaluation. As far as I've seen, the Demo is limited to executing the tutorial exercises, without an option to open a new project or to use the catalog of layer materials and substrates to change the materials inside the exercises. Did I understand correctly or did I miss something?
OptiLayer DEMO version is quite limited, since the main function of the DEMO is to demonstrate main abilities, power and computational efficiency of OptiLayer. If you would like to try full functionality of OptiLayer, you may contact our responsible person for your region (see Distributors page). It is possible to use Trial version of OptiLayer with time-limited hardware key (dongle). You need to ask for such trial is necessary.
- If we decide to purchase OptiLayer, do we buy the package or just a license for a period of time?
You purchase a license (or licenses) for specified number of working places. These licenses have no time limit. Even more, you can try the software before buying it, since we provide customers with Trial keys (so called “time limited trial versions”). It is simple: if you are satisfied, you can buy it.
- What is the OptiLayer policy for software updates?
One year of updates is included with initial purchase. To receive further versions (releases), it is necessary to renew.